Many people, as they brush and floss their teeth, experience bleeding gums on occasion. That does not mean bleeding gums should be considered normal! If you were bleeding from your ears or eyes you would see a doctor immediately.
The same is true of tender, inflamed, or bleeding gums. If your gums bleed regularly during brushing or flossing, it almost always means you have the start serious gum infection called periodontal disease.
If you have any of the symptoms mentioned here, you should immediately book and appointment with your A Supa Smile dentist!
Causes Of Gum Tenderness Or Bleeding
Bacteria in the mouth forms plaque on the teeth that can lead to inflammation, called gingivitis. The inflammation can result in red, tender, swollen, or bleeding gums. Oftentimes, early stages of gingivitis go unnoticed. But without treatment, gingivitis can cause tenderness and bleeding and sometimes even lead to tooth loss.
What are the most common causes of gum disease and bleeding?
- Plaque Attack! As mentioned above plaque deposited over time is the number one factor related to gum disease.
- Smoking or chewing tobacco is one of the greatest risk factors associated with gum disease.
- Compromised immune system – anything that harms your immune system will likely harm your gums.
- Hormonal changes in women during pregnancy, menstruation, and menopause.
- Medications – Up to 400 different medications can increase the risk of gums bleeding.
Be sure to seek medical attention if you have the following symptoms, even if you don’t have any discomfort:
- Changes in how teeth fit together on biting, or in the fit of partial dentures
- Deep pockets between teeth and gums
- Gums that bleed during and after toothbrushing
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Persistent bad breath or bad taste in the mouth
- Receding gums
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
Gum Treatment at A Supa Smile
The best way to “treat” bleeding or tender gums is to prevent them. By brushing twice a day and flossing once, you greatly reduce your chances of gum damage. Visiting your dentist for bi-annual checkups/cleanings is another way to reduce the chances of tender or swollen gums.
If you do have tender, swollen, or bleeding gums, we strongly encourage you to come in for to A Supa Smile for an examination, x-rays, and cleaning. During this routine examination your dentist will assess your oral health and recommend appropriate treatments. For gum problems, we will perform a simple and painless periodontal probe to determine your level of gum health. Then, we can recommend a safe and effective treatment!
Excellent Dental Care with your Croydon Dentist
At A Supa Smile, we are committed to your dental health – from gum health, through tooth care, and up to restoring a beautiful smile, we offer it all. Visit us at our convenient Croydon location and get started! We are close to transport and free street parking is available.
Contact us on (03) 9723 0703 or book your appointment online today.
Our Special Offers
- Dental Implants
- Teeth Whitening
Contact us today!