In the news
The Australian Dental Association (ADA) has applauded announcement by the Turnbull Government and its Health Minister, Greg Hunt, to reinstate the Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) cap to $1,000.
The Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) has been renewed for 2017! The CDBS is a government funded health program providing $700, over two years, to cover basic dental services for nearly 3 million Australian children between the ages of 2 and 17 who might otherwise go without.
Eligible children should not miss out on the CDBS’s benefit for basic dental services. Your child’s health is key to their future, and good oral health is a gateway to good overall health.
For more information regarding the CDBS, contact our friendly staff at A Supa Smiles in Croydon and we will be happy to answer your questions or set up an appointment to treat your child!
We look forward to being your partner in your family’s oral health!
Key Features of the CDBS
The program’s key features are:
- Dental benefits for children aged two to 17 years.
- A focus on basic dental services including prevention and treatment (e.g. fillings and extractions) with high end and orthodontic items excluded.
- Benefits that can be used in the public or private system.
- A benefit entitlement capped at $1,000 per eligible child over a two year period.
- Benefits are available from the beginning of each two-year period.
- If funds are spent in the first year access to another $1,000 benefits will not occur until the new cycle.
What Benefits are Offered?
The CDBS covers a range of basic dental services:
- clean, scale and polish
- fissure sealing
- root canal treatment
Certain treatments and procedures are not covered by the CDBS. Benefits are not available for orthodontic or cosmetic dental work and will not be paid for any services provided in a hospital operating theatre.
Who is Eligible?
Eligibility is assessed at the beginning of each calendar year and is valid for the entire year. If you become eligible part way through a calendar year, you only get benefits under the CDBS from the date of Medicare eligibility.
- Aged between 2 and 17 for at least 1 day of the calendar year
- Eligible for Medicare, and
Getting one of the payments listed below for at least 1 day of the calendar year.
Your children are eligible if the child’s parent, carer, or guardian receives:
- Family Tax Benefit Part A
- Parenting Payment, or
- Double Orphan Pension
A child is eligible if they receive:
- Family Tax Benefit Part A
- Carer Payment
- Disability Support Pension
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Youth Allowance
- Financial assistance under the Veterans’ Children Education Scheme (VCES) and can’t be included as a dependent child for the purposes of Family Tax Benefit because they are 16 years or older, or
- Financial assistance under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme (MRCAETS) and can’t be included as a dependent child for the purposes of Family Tax Benefit because they are 16 years or older.
You’ll get a letter to confirm the eligibility of your child for the CDBS if you are a parent or guardian of the child or on the list of approved care organisations. Older children who are receiving payments under their own name may also receive a letter.
To ensure that all eligible children can use their CDBS entitled benefits, make sure that your details are up to date with Medicare and Centrelink.
Medicare can be contacted on 132 011.
Centrelink can be contacted on 136 150.
Dental Care at A Supa Smile
At A Supa Smile your oral health and the oral health of your children is important to us. Our relationship based dental clinic in Croydon was established by Dr. Sue, a Melbourne University trained dentist who has been practicing since 1983. If you have any questions about the Child Dental Benefits Schedule please get in touch with our staff.
Contact us today on (03) 9723 0703 or book your appointment online!
Our Special Offers
At A Supa Smile, our goal is to make quality dental care affordable. We encourage you to take advantage of our latest offers. To find out more, visit our special offers page today!
The Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) has been renewed for 2017!
Reference Link: To access the article click here