White, shining teeth, and a beautiful smile are the Holy Grail of dentistry. Among the many dental procedures to help achieve this, tooth bonding is one of the quickest and most economical.
Tooth bonding is a cosmetic dentistry process in which your A Supa Smile dentist applies a composite resin to one or more of your teeth to restore attractive appearance and function.
Like all dental treatments, tooth bonding is not the ideal treatment for every patient and every case, which is why it is important that patients understand all aspects of dental bonding before going forward with it. At the very least, you need to understand the treatment itself, how long the treatment is effective, and what kind of after-care maximises the life span of the treatment.
A Supa Smile is happy to share with you the following information on tooth bonding, and if you think it is the treatment for you, we look forward to consulting with you about it.
Tooth Bonding Advantages
- Useful for restoring small defects, minor stains and discolorations and closing some spaces
- Can replace amalgam fillings for a more natural appearance
- Can be used on some cavities
- Color and translucency matches natural teeth
- Requires minimal preparation of remaining enamel.
- A very conservative approach, where its use is indicated, and in some cases is reversible
- Can create more even-looking teeth
How is Bonding Done?
Tooth bonding treatment is usually a simple procedure that takes just 30 to 60 minutes per tooth. At A Supa Smile, we take the following steps:
- You’ll discuss your treatment goals at an initial consultation, during which we will explain your options, the procedure, and the cost.
- Your dentist will examine your teeth and gums and may take photos. You may also receive instructions on how to prepare for your treatment.
- You will return to A Supa Smile, for the actual procedure.
- Your A Supa Smile, dentist will prepare your tooth/teeth by roughening and shaping the surface.
- A bonding agent will be applied to ensure the composite sticks firmly to the tooth/teeth.
- Composite material will be applied and shaped. Several layers may be necessary.
- A high intensity light may be used to harden the material.
- Your A Supa Smile, dentist will smooth and polish your tooth.
Keeping your Bonded Teeth
Bonding material can last between 3 and 10 years. Your contribution to longevity is follow good oral hygiene practices at home. This means to brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush, floss at least once a day, and see your A Supa Smile dentist for your check-ups and cleanings.
Things to avoid include:
Foods and drinks that cause stains including tea, dark colored sauces, red and white wine, berries, sports drinks, sodas, juices, and candies with bright artificial coloring stain the teeth.
Products that stain the teeth. Tobacco products, including cigarettes or chewing tobacco, cause yellow and brown stains to appear on the teeth and bonding material.
Foods and drinks that wear down the bonding material: Hard or crunchy foods such as candy, pretzels, or beef jerky can wear down and even chip the bonding material due to the force that is exerted while chewing on these foods.
Habits that wear down the bonding material including biting on fingernails, pen caps, pens, pencils, and other hard objects, wears down the bonding material and tooth enamel over time.
Although there is no exact answer as to how durable a bonded tooth will be, with good care it is not unreasonable to expect up to a decade of use.
The A Supa Smile Advantage
A Supa Smile is conveniently located just off of the Maroondah Highway near Plymouth Road and Kent Ave, with public transport nearby.
Your trusted Croydon dental practice makes it easy for you to get an appointment offering a convenient online form in addition to our phone line. For working patients we are open from Mondays to Saturdays, morning until evening. For more information about schedule and location, please visit our contact us page. Emergency dental treatment is also available!
Our Special Offers!
- PAY NO GAP – NO GAP for Exam, Clean and Scale (with any health insurance)
New or existing patient, we invite you to take advantage of our amazing offers. Find out more by visiting our special offers page.